A brand new political podcast from Ireland’s two best-known independent left wing MEPs, straight from the belly of the EU beast. Unfiltered by mainstream media they grapple with the problems at the very heart of the European project.
Listen & subscribe using on of the services below, or open with your favourite podcast player.
You can also follow the Podcast series by following the official Independents 4 Change Twitter account.
- This week Clare and Mick are back in Strasbourg for another plenary session. They call out the EU's hypocrisy and cynicism in commemorating the International Day on the Rights of the Child and the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women while refusing to call for a ceasefire in Gaza. Are Palestinian children […]
- This week we continue to discuss the catastrophic situation in Gaza. We comment on the right to self-defence and whether Israel is entitled to claim it, the genocide convention and what can Ireland and other EU states do to end this massacre.We also talk about Cuba and the US blockade against the island.
- It's been over a month of unrelenting bombing, death and horror in the Gaza Strip. And it's been over 75 years of Israeli impunity and colonial violence. Every new death could have been avoided with yesterday's ceasefire. Shame on the EU for refusing to call for one: a ceasefire is not a radical demand, it's […]
- On this final episode we hear from Andy Worthington, Investigative journalist and activist, who tells us about the plight of the 16 men who have been cleared for release but continue to be detained in Guantánamo. He urges EU governments to take action to end this deplorable situation.And our last speaker is Moazzam Begg, former […]
- On this third episode we hear from two remarkable legal experts:Alka Pradhan, Human Rights Counsel at the Guantanamo Bay Military Commissions, explains the US’s use of Guantánamo as a legal black hole. She also emphasises the urgent crisis in medical care affecting the men still in Guantánamo, an aging detainee population quickly deteriorating after years […]
- While the European Council gathers in Brussels to assess the situation in the Middle East, Mick and Clare explain that calling for anything less than an immediate ceasefire is an abnegation of collective responsibility. Which EU values is the Commission representing? What will it take for the EU to demand an end to collective punishment? […]
- This second episode of the series welcomes human rights attorney Beth Jacob. Beth has represented Guantánamo detainees since 2005. She helps us understand what this facility is and why so many men are still stuck there despite having long been cleared for release. Most importantly, she gives us an insight into the detainees' enduring humanity, […]
- We’re finally releasing the “Close Guanánamo!” series, a podcast adaptation of an event we recently hosted: the most significant gathering ever assembled on Guantánamo in the European Parliament.This series is a unique opportunity to learn about the horror and lawlessness of this detention facility from those who experienced it. You’ll hear from former detainees, US […]
- After over a week of horror in Gaza, enabled by the EU’s continuous support for Israel and its shameful failure to call out Israeli war crimes and push for a ceasefire, we’re back to discuss what’s happening in Palestine. In addition, we talk about Clare’s recent trip to Bulgaria, the growing political culture of ostracising […]
- As the world looks on in horror at the situation in Gaza, we take a moment to discuss the need to contextualise recent events and point to the real root of violence: Israel's apartheid against Palestinians. In declaring unconditional support for an extreme right-wing government employing genocidal and dehumanising rhetoric on Palestinians, EU institutions are […]